Sweden is a land of 9 climate zones, sweeping landscapes with local food production, and an abundance of natural, wild, and artisan foods. The SHS Culinary Scholarship was founded by the board of Sweden House Society in 2015, as a way to support BC culinary students with a Swedish connection or interest in Sweden. The award celebrates Swedish food traditions and will challenge local chef students to create their own version of Swedish recipes.
The purpose of this award is to assist a British Columbia culinary student with the cost of their studies and/or apprenticeship, either in a local culinary school or one in Sweden. The money can also be used towards an internship in a leading restaurant in Sweden. The SHS Culinary Scholarship has a value of $1,000 and will be paid upon proof of the recipient’s admission, with the funds being distributed upon the commencement of studies/internship. It will be officially handed out in June 2017.
The 2017 application should include the following:
- Applicant’s name, address and email address.
- Proof of resident status of BC.
- Proof of registration to an accredited institution in BC or Sweden.
- A personal recipe based on Swedish food traditions, with special emphasis on ethical and local food products. If selected, the recipe will have to be prepared and presented for a jury.
- A written reference from one or more of the following: a previous teacher, instructor or chef, member of Sweden House (including organizations belonging to Sweden House) or someone unrelated who can attest to the applicant’s creativity in the kitchen and good character
- A short, handwritten essay that includes the applicant’s view on cooking and ingredients, link to or view on Sweden, a description of volunteer work and /or employment, educational experiences, interests, goals and how this scholarship can assist in attaining them. Particular weight will be addressed to volunteer work for one of the Swedish organisations which are members of the SHS.
In order to be considered for the 2017 scholarship, the application and supporting documentation must be submitted by March 31, 2017 by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).