The Sweden House Society of the Scandinavian Community Centre (SCCS) in Burnarby had its annual general meeting on March 17th, 2015. As usual, the AGM included nominating and voting in a new board. The acting chair Lena Normén-Younger and vice chair Anna-Carin Törnqvist stepped down. Carina Spencer was voted in as the new SHS chair, with Yvonne Spence as the co-chair. Carina and Yvonne both represent the Swedish Cultural Society and have a long record of working together on Swedish not-for-profit work and fundraising, and will make a good team during the year to come.
Ron Spence stays on as the treasurer and Dorothy Carlson as the secretary. Lena Normén-Younger will chair the SHS scholarship committe, which also consists of Laila Axen and John Stuart. Other SHS board members are Robert Oberg, Dianne Kihlback, Mia Logie, George Nelson and Annabelle Kergan. A full description of the new SHS board can be found in the Swedish section of the SCCS website.
The SHS board members want to express their sincere thanks to Anna-Carin Törnqvist, Alexandra Andersson-Roos, Eva Robertsson and Paul Pernevi, for their contribution as directors during 2014–2015. Especially Anna-Carin Törnqvist has worked hard to support the board by chairing the board on a number of meetings when the chair was out of town, and by representing the SHS at the SCCS board. Anna-Carin Törnqvist has recently taken over as the new chair of the Swedish Cultural Society, after a number of years as its vice chair, and we wish her the best of luck in her new position.
Activitities of the SHS board during the year 2014–2015 included:
- Awarding the Karl Ståhl Scholarship to Hanna MacFarlane and Sebastian Gitt. They both received $1,000 to support their academic studies in nursing and engineering.
- Donating $3,041.01 to the Scandinavian Centre to support an upgrade of the wi-fi network
- Donating $2,122.40 to the Scandinavian Centre to support the purchase of an Automated External Defibrillator.
- Updating the SHS section of the SCCS website.
- Entering the world of social media by creating and administering an official SHS Facebook website.
- Approving SHS membership of the Wallenberg-Sugihara Civil Courage Society (WSCCS).
- Performing a strategic planning session for the SHS and its direction during the next 20 years.
Spring activities of the SHS Board will be administering the application process of three SHS awards (the Karl Ståhl Award, the SHS Culinary Award & the SHS Trade Award), and to identify a Swedish team of volunteers who will help out during the Midsummer Festival 2015 (June 20–21).